- This case study includes:
- GlobalData’s Sustainability Framework: this is designed to act as a checklist to help CEOs ensure they cover all aspects of sustainability.
- Sustainability Measurement and Response: an overview of ESG advisors and ESG rating companies.
- ESG Ratings of Pharmaceutical Companies: a look at how some of the leading pharmaceutical companies are rated on ESG performance by four leading ESG rating agencies.
- Case Studies: here we provide examples of pharmaceutical companies making concerted efforts to improve environmental and social sustainability practices, including GSK, AZ, Takeda, Pfizer, Bayer, and Catalent. It also has case studies of pharma behaving badly, with many examples of drug price gouging and fixing, the role of Purdue Pharma and J&J in the opioid crisis in the US, Novartis’ sham educational speakers, and Samsung BioLogics’ accounting fraud.
Tomorrow’s successful business leaders will focus on sustainable profits.
Elements within the pharmaceutical industry that contribute to social sustainability include pricing, market access, quality of supply chains, R&D practices, and development of drugs to treat rare diseases.
Adopting a holistic approach that encompasses all environmental, social, and governance issues can help company leaders ensure that all aspects of sustainability are covered in their ESG strategy.