- IOT solutions can hugely improve the tourism sector in various ways such as:
- Personalizing customers’ experiences
- Offering location-based interactions and promotions
- Enabling real-time tracking and monitoring (helping decrease number of lost baggage, for example)
- Reduce labor costs
- Automate hotel room features (TV, lights, thermostat, audio, etc.)
- Differentiate the tourism brand and boost the chances of beating competition
- Implement predictive maintenance
Having already embraced self-service, the air transport industry is turning to Internet of Things initiatives to enhance air travel experience for passengers.
The world’s 6th busiest airport for international traffic, Changi Airport is opening up the live airport environment to testing new technologies, the Internet of Things being one of those.
Japanese technology firm SoftBank have invested in Handy Japan, a mobile device service provider for hotel guests. Offering information of popular tourist destinations in several languages, internet access and the ability to contact a hotel’s concierge in addition to local and international calls, the technology has been deployed in 1,700 hotels and 240,000 rooms, accounting for 33% of Japan’s hotels.